Thursday, April 17, 2014

NestPitch BP6: The Changeling

Category/Genre: YA Paranormal Romance

Word Count: 52,000

Pitch: Amanda spent five years institutionalized after she claimed an evil creature killed her sister with just a look. Out of the hospital and in high school, she discovered she might not be crazy after all.

 If the MC were an Easter Egg, what flavor would they be and why?

Chocolate with a hint of cashew flavoring. Because they’re nuts, but only sort of.

Excerpt: (300 words)

I came home from the hospital on the fifth anniversary of my sister’s death. Mom chatted away with nervous energy, fingers tapping on the wheel of the car as she drove. I watched the trees go by, wondering what the new house was like. Mom brought pictures on a visit once, but pictures don’t always tell the truth.

“I got you registered for school last week,” she said.

I blinked. “What?”

“I got you registered for school.”

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?”

“You have another week before school starts, so you’ll have time to prepare.” She cast a quick glance my way. “Besides, Dr. Morris said you should get used to a normal routine and what’s more normal for a sixteen-year-old girl than high school?”

I shook my head and stared out the window again. Normal for me was different from most teenagers my age. As soon as I stepped foot in the school everyone would know me as the crazy girl who spent four-and-a-half years in the nut house.

“So you talked to Dr. Morris about this?”

“Of course I did, Amanda,” she said, exasperated. “I’m not going to do anything that would—”

“Send me to Nutsville again.”

“Hey, Dr. Morris has said time and time again the emotional trauma you went through would have left its mark on any child.” I heard the strain of tears in her voice, but I didn’t turn to look at her.

I thought about what a normal girl would be worried about when going to school when I remembered my clothes. The sweatpants and t-shirt ensemble might have worked at Clarkwood, but I doubted it would work for high school. “I don’t have anything to wear.”

Mom chuckled. “That can be fixed.”

She’d probably planned our shopping trip already.

5 comments: