Thursday, April 17, 2014

NestPitch BP4: The Heart Song

Category/Genre: YA Fantasy

Word Count: 87,000

Pitch: After running from her past for 400 years, Golem Hania, must decide if she will open her heart to her Native American history and creation ceremony to defeat an oppressive leader and save her friends.

If the MC was an Easter Egg, what flavor would they be and why? 
 I am the flavors of my people: wild ginger and juniper berry chocolate.

Excerpt: (300 words)


I was breaking and entering, but I didn't care.  Listening closely for any sound or movement, I tried the knob to the back entrance of a barber shop.  It held fast. I removed a small metal knife from my front pocket and placed it quietly into the lock.  Moving slowly and precisely, sliding the pick up and down until it found the correct grooves and all the pins clicked into place, then turning the knob, I pressed on the door.  It squeaked as it slid inward.  Willing the sound to stop, I looked around once more, before stepping into the shop and closing the door behind me.  

Grabbing clippers form the desk I moved to the sink at the back of the shop away from the windows and leaned my head over.  The vibration of the blade as it slid across my scalp made goose bumps rise on my neck.   Shiny black hair was left covering the sink, counter and floor.  A man peered back at me in the mirror, but I could still feel the woman inside.  Missing her already, I ran my hands over the top of my newly-shorn hair, watching the loose pieces fall to the floor, I realized that I didn't even recognize myself anymore. Maybe this was for the best. I was lost on the inside anyway. 

Cleaning up my mess, I returned the clippers to the desk, and slipped out the back door to the alley.  The sun was coming up, anxiety returning to my chest with it, reminding me that I needed to go now and meet the dreaded ship. 

Slinging my pack over my shoulder I walked toward the dock.  There was a long wooden table near the ship walkway.  Behind the table sat two men in green uniforms.  

1 comment:

  1. *Cocktail Bunny sneaks in and leaves 2 boxes of Caramel Eggs

    ReplyDelete